NEXT STEPS for Three Village Church
There are a number of ways you can start putting the ideas we discussed this weekend into practice, or ways you can dive deeper into ideas that may have been new for you. One of the best places to start is to subscribe to our newsletter and podcast, and check out our blog. Links to our blog, podcast and newsletter are in the “about Christian Civics” section below.
Rev. Drew’s book on finding political peace in our church communities is one of the best places to start if you’d like to carry this conversation forward in your own life or with your small group.
David Koyzis does a commendable job of examining contemporary political ideologies and articulating where they reflect and distort elements of Christian ethics and morality.
Lesslie Newbigin’s 1980’s primer on how to critique our own culture from within through the perspective of the gospel is an essential read for anyone wanting to learn how to witness to people we may already identify with closely.
The venerable John Stott offers wise and practical advice on Christian engagement with critical contemporary issues.
Contact Rick and Charlie
Want to refresh yourself on the main points? The main outline from the slideshow is below!
The Christian Civics Approach
- Partisan Politics
- Public Square
Relationships To Government
- Appointed Official
- Elected Official
- Civil Service
Modeling the good news means living out the story of…
- …glorious creation.
- …tragic fall.
- …sacrificial incarnation.
- …radical redemption.
- …confident consummation.
A few ways this plays out:
- Prioritize the local, the neighbor and the direct. “Jericho road.”
- Select Partnerships Differently
- Partnerships are necessary.
- Partnerships can send dangerous messages.
- Partnerships should be approached holistically.
- Process Hatred Differently
The Easy way to pray: Copy Paul
- Romans 1:8–10
- 1 Corinthians 1:4–9
- Ephesians 1:15–20
- Philippians 1:3–6
- Philippians 1:9–11
- Colossians 1:3–14
- In each of these prayers, Paul repeats five themes. He prays…
- …for their faith.
- …for/about the desire to support them in prayer.
- …for grace and holiness to abound in them.
- …that they would be filled with Jesus’ presence and power.
- …for their lives to bring glory to Christ.
Love in and from the church
- We care.
- We are Christ’s body.
Avenues of Disagreement
- Differing Priorities
- Differing Experiences
- Differing Glorious/Fallen Emphasis
- Differing Strategies
- Cultural Anthropomorphism
- Differing “Middle Layers”
Finding Political Peace
Idolatries that challenge political peace
Fear: A Heresy That Divides Us
Fostering Political Diversity
Two vital distinctions:
- Between theocracy and influence
- Between principle and strategy
The wrong way to pray
The medium way to pray
Praise common principle.
The Hard way to pray
Confess and correct.
- Offer confession.
- Solicit correction.